The Governing Board brings together representatives from all the members of F4E
at least twice per year and is responsible for taking a number of important
decisions and supervising its activities.
The Governing Board is responsible for the supervision of F4E in the
implementation of its activities. It makes recommendations and takes decisions
on a wide range of matters, in particular it:
The Governing Board at work
- appoints the Director;
- approves the basic organisational structure;
- adopts the financial regulation and its implementing rules;
- adopts the annual work programmes and budgets;
- adopts the five-year rolling project plan and resource estimates plan;
- adopts the staff establishment plan and the staff policy plan;
- appoints the Chairman and members of the Executive Committee;
- establishes the Scientific Programme Board(s) and appoint their members;
- approves the annual accounts and annual activity reports;
- adopts the implementing provisions for the Staff Regulations;
- adopts rules for making human resources available to ITER and the Broader
- approves the host agreement between the Joint Undertaking and Spain;
- adopts rules on industrial policy, intellectual property rights and the
dissemination of information in agreement with the Commission;
- approves the conclusion of agreements with third countries and with
institutions, undertakings or persons of third countries or with international
The voting rights of the members of the Governing Board are set out in
Annex I of the statutes
of the Joint Undertaking. Most decisions are taken by two-thirds majority or
The Governing Board adopts its own rules of procedure and also approves the
rules of procedure of the Executive Committee.
Normally the Director and the Chair of the Executive Committee take part in
Governing Board meetings.
Chair and Vice-Chairs
The Governing Board elects its Chair and Vice-Chairs from among its members upon a proposal by Euratom.
Mr Stuart Ward was re-elected as Chair by the Governing Board for a second and final term of two years effective 1 July 2013.
Dr Joaquin Sanchez was re-elected as a Vice Chair of the Governing Board for a second and final term of two years effective 1 July 2013.
Drs Cor Katerberg was re-elected as a Vice Chair of the Governing Board for a second and final term of two years effective 1 July 2013.
Mr Stuart Ward, Chair of the Governing Board
Dr. Joaquín Sanchez, Vice-Chair of the Governing Board
Drs. Cor Katerberg, Vice-Chair of the Governing Board
Each member of F4E is represented in the Governing Board by two representatives,
one of which has scientific and/or technical expertise in the areas related to
current list of representatives (August 2013)
Fusion for Energy's Governing Board